Friday, July 20, 2012

Magnum P.I.llow

I made this for my mother's birthday. She should receive it soon, provided the post office does not lose it or run a forklift through the box. *fingers crossed*

Untitled

Never has there been a more masculine pillow than this. Never! Even with the frilled edging and flowered backing fabric:

Untitled

NEVER, I SAY.

This was my first time sewing a case for a pillow form, and my first time sewing a zipper into a pillow case, so it's a bit wonky on the front bottom left. I tried to mash everything into shape and I think that improved it a little.

I marked off a rough 14" square around Magnum, then pinned and basted on the edging, then sewed the zipper to both sides, and finally sewed the other three sides together, basically just crossing my fingers that I was leaving enough room for the pillow form after cramming all that in. (Make note of that edging: it is a whore to work with. If I never work with that edging again, it will be too soon. But it was the best color option at the time. And it looks like a lei! But still -- TOTAL WHORE.)

The real underlying issue for this project was that after a month-ish of embroidering Mr. Selleck's head, the idea of irreparably destroying him in the process of making the pillow case caused my brain to shut down completely and go into forced auto-pilot, otherwise I would not have had the courage to stick him under my sewing machine. It was healthier for me mentally to just keep going and not sweat about getting the measurements absolutely precise. Honestly, I fought the urge to do shots before tackling this, and upon reflection, I deserve a round of applause for that. *clap*clap*clap*clap*clap* Thank you, thank you.

My husband is really disappointed that Magnum is on his way to my mother's house and we don't get to keep him. I wonder if I subliminally hoped to wean her off that Twilight kid and back on to Real Men. *shudder* Sorry, Magnum. You're gonna have to take one for the team. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

No comments: