Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Super Meat Boy Birthday Time

My brother Daniel asked me to knit him a beanie with this Super Meat Boy gentleman on it.

1. I am unfamiliar with this Super Meat Boy. Though based on his name alone, he has my full support.

2. I really could not think of a way to knit a beanie featuring this gentleman without the whole thing looking like Mommy made it.

3. Remember that rule about foisting gifts on friends and family that were created with newly adopted hobbies before the skill is fully developed? Or even like half-ass developed? Remember?

So I decided the time was ripe for trying my hand at making patches. That way Daniel could go find a beanie that he liked and that fit him and just attach the Super Meat Boy patch to the front of it. Here they are:

The order in which I made them is:

1 3

2 4

You can probably tell that #1 is kind of crappy, but by the time I got to #4 I was doing pretty well. I wasn't sure what the deal was with the forehead bandage, so I made them both ways. Now he can put Super Meat Boy patches everywhere!

After I embroidered the fabric, I ironed on a one-sided fusing fabric to the back to stiffen it and cover up all the loose threads. I cut the shapes out and then ran them through the sewing machine to do the edging. When I sent them to Daniel I included the double-sided fusing he will need to iron the patches onto something, or he can skip the fusing and just stitch directly to the beanie, or fuse and stitch for maximum attachment. Or, rather, have his mommy do it.

As a special birthday treat, I also whipped up this lovely swallow to hang in his bedroom to pretty things up.

Isn't that sweet? I recommended he hang it near a light source so that it can be fully enjoyed to its fullest sweetness.

What? Can't I send my brother something sweet for his bedroom? What's the problem?? No one trusts me anymore!!

On a completely unrelated note, I recently discovered glow-in-the-dark embroidery floss. It looks almost exactly like regular white embroidery floss and cannot be distinguished when sewn right next to the white stuff. Hypothetically speaking, it could be used to stitch secret messages into regular embroidery projects that would not be seen until the lights were turned off. Wouldn't that be neat?

I won't tell you what that swallow says. You would slap my mouth. Happy Birthday, Bro!

No comments: