Thursday, July 21, 2016

Now I've Discovered Basket Weaving: Part One

Here's what happened:

First Beccula revealed that she had taken a basket weaving class, provoking my jealousy. Then Kq separately announced that she was in the process of weaving a fence around her herb garden to keep her enormous horse-dogs from trampling it into the ground. Weaving a fence?!?

With this, I suddenly realized that I had fallen way behind in the Weaving Wars. I demanded that Beccula immediately teach me how to weave baskets. Then I dove into youtube to plumb the instructional videos, and found many helpful tutorials from the Basket Master. She makes it look easy! Why was I not doing this already??

In desperation and rage, I shouted at Beccula, "I'M LOSING THE WEAVING WAR!! I MUST BEGIN IMMEDIATELY!!" and on her recommendation I went to basketweaving.com and placed an order for this Internet Special Basket Kit. "AND WITH THIS I WILL MAKE BASKETS!!" I shrieked.

While I waited for my order to arrive, I kept digging into youtube and found a hippie that made a bowl out of vines. I grabbed a beer and headed out into the yard.

Behold the first bowl in my new line of Blair Witch Home Goods, brought to you by Shock Top.

Finally my order arrived! I jumped right into the first basket and worked my way through all the patterns. I think these are in order:

(That hairy yarn band was my idea, I can't blame them.)

The Melon Basket doesn't sit flat, due to my uneven ribs. I'm going to try soaking and reshaping it. Which probably will not help.

Incidentally, this is how the reed looks when you release it from its restraints:

Not the least bit nerve-wracking, am I right?

Totally user friendly.

The husband asked what on earth the "Ear of Corn" basket could possibly be used for. Duh, obviously it's for this:

But JB has no use for it at all.

I'm gonna cut this off here because there's way more where that came from....

Stay Tuned For Part 2 -- And Maybe Part 3, Who Knows?

No comments: