Wednesday, May 2, 2012

L'il Spaulding

I found a great (read: hideous) ceramic clown bank at the thrift store on Saturday. The great part is that he was already primed in a coating of matte paint colored somewhere between pus yellow and sea foam green. What was the original plan here? I have no idea. But luckily they never glazed him, because if those things have any kind of glaze on them all hope is lost. I immediately took him into the garage and covered him with Krylon black spray primer. So no before photo. (I'm sure you're shocked.) I stared at him for a while trying to decide how to most bring out his valuable terrifying clown assets.

Then I had a vision:

Captain spaulding original-739552

Which turned into this:

Untitled

I figure even Captain Spaulding had to start somewhere, right? So here he is, fresh out of Clown College, eager to begin clowning and selling chicken. All those hopes and dreams!

Untitled

My husband saw him during the varnishing stage and said, "That looks like the clown from that horrible movie you like." Which is no less than a ringing endorsement for the execution, as my husband has never and will never watch that movie due to the fact that he has nightmares when he hears even the title of it. SO YAY ME. I guess I pulled that one off.

No comments: