Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Monkey Box

I never took a before shot of this box either. I think I have the fantasy in my head that I am so super-organized and thorough that when I finally decide how to alter something, I will immediately reach for the camera to begin the Art Process. Which never, ever, ever, ever happens, so I don't know why I continue harbouring this delusion. What I normally do is stare at something for a month, then have an idea, grab it, and run full bore into the garage to coat it in primer, perhaps stopping to prep the area with newspaper first. PERHAPS.

Anyhoo, the following was a box covered in Winnie the Pooh whatnots that I found at a yard sale. It was oh-so-twee and adorable! Then I covered it with black acrylic paint. Then I bought this:

Untitled

(Here's the link on Amazon.) Basically nothing in my house has been safe since I purchased this book. I took two of the stencils and combined them into this:

Untitled

I covered the whole thing with a few coats of spray varnish, and I painted the inside with pink acrylic:

Untitled

So far so good on that. I wondered if it would totally reek, but it's been okay. I should probably open it every once in a while to vent the cancerous gasses while it settles down. But it's been alright.

I left the handle brown because it's vinyl and I don't know of a way to color it without making the whole thing gummy. I'd rather have it the wrong color than have it be sticky and gross forever. Plus the brown looks more official, like maybe I have important legal documents in my monkey box.

One other thing I found at the thrift store on Saturday (when I found the clown previous) was this bizarre canvas painting of a brick wall:

The perspective on this thing is weird. Pretty much the whole thing is weird. But I decided that from now on, everyone that comes to my house has to graffiti the wall. I've already added a small monkey head stencil, and the husband wrote "OH NO!" Ultimately it will be festooned with dicks and fart jokes, as my friends are asshats. So this will probably be the last time the internet ever sees it.

By the way, even though it seems like I've been really productive lately, let me assure you that none of these things are on my running list of projects that need completing. I guess I'll get back to those eventually.

No comments: