Saturday, January 5, 2013

Post X-mas Roundup

It's time for another rousing edition of "Who Received My Crap for Xmas?"

First up, I found this round wooden box at an antique shop. It is real wood and way heavier than it looks. Why anyone would need a round box this heavy, I have no idea. I can only imagine it once protected a huge wheel of cheese. Anyway it's painted a weird sickly yellow-green color and was kind of scratched up, and I decided I liked it that way. Oh yeah, the one part I didn't like was that around the edge of the lid was a horrible flower border of the type seen circling mid-'80s bathrooms. SHUDDER. Amazingly that bullshit was a sticker, and it peeled right off. Hooray! Then I painted the box for KC/DC:

I originally planned to paint a bunch of other Sailor Jerry type stuff around the sides, but I know what Kay's shelving looks like at home, so I made the decision to paint just nautical stars so she could face the top part out:

Next up is an Xmas prank we pulled on a friend. I painted this ridiculous garbage ages ago, and a friend loved it, so I gladly gave it to him. He immediately hung it on his wall unframed, which drove me nuts. We live in a society!! So when my husband went to Alabama for Thanksgiving this year, I made him steal it back so I could get it framed as a surprise.

Oh yeah. That's much better. Right? Amazingly, he didn't notice it was gone. So when he unwrapped it, thinking I might have actually put some effort into his gift this year, BANG! REGIFT. He shook his head and proclaimed, "That was like some Penn & Teller shit right there." Hooray! Prank Success.

All the effort I avoided on his gift went into his girlfriend's gift. I found a ceramic teddy bear planter and, after confirming said girlfriend isn't afraid of zombies (I've run into that problem before -- but it was a dude...) I transformed him thusly:

Nice view of the ribs there. He's had a rough time of it.

Surely you do not gift a planter empty? So I tried to find a tiny plant for it. I never managed to find one small enough. Don't tell Plant PETA or whatever how horribly I treated this Christmas Cactus. I love the Christmas Cactus that I have at home! It's just now starting the annual bloom! I love it! So I bought one for this planter. And I crammed the poor thing inside.

OH MY GOD I PROMISE IT'S NOT AS BAD AS THAT LOOKS. The roots are in the soil as straight down as you please. But I did have to bend the top and it is kind of a tight fit. :(

See? It looks happier there, right?? Yeah so then I stuck it inside a carboard box with some padding so it could be transported to Babalama and then wait around a couple days to be delivered. I really hope the poor thing survives. Hang in there, little buddy!! :(

This last one has been done forever, but I couldn't post it until it got delivered to the BFF, along with his other gift, my Magnum Opus. Wooden tray, Krylon spray primer, decoupage, Fangoria, you know the drill:

This is to help him to remember that you do NOT PISS ON HOSPITALITY.

And with that, I think I survived another Xmas season. Oh wait, there's still one thing I have to finish sewing for my brother, but I've been so crafted out I haven't been able to work on it. I will soon. That should be the final gift. Hooray!! It's finally over!! Happy New Year!!

No comments: