Monday, February 26, 2018

Okay Yeah, So.....

One year ago I nuked my whole life and moved to Utah. Why Utah, you ask? Mostly because my beloved New Mexico has zero jobs, and my company has a lab in Salt Lake City that I could transfer to. Why nuke my whole life, you ask? That's a way longer story and you'd have to buy me a lot of drinks to hear it. So let's just skip that.

Before I left, Beccula helped me have a massive yardsale, and a guy bought my whole inventory of sharts! He is a blessing!! I hope that guy either makes a killing, or has the biggest bonfire ever. I wish him all the best.

And I have not stopped making stuff. One bit of news is that after spending most of my life being terrified of watercolors, I bought a set of liquid watercolors and some paper at Smith's, which is the out-West version of Kroger, except kind of combined with a Target, because Smith's pretty much has EVERYTHING YOU COULD EVER WANT. So I've been doing some shitty watercoloring:

There's more, but as anyone that spends any time over here knows, March/April is Hell Month for birthdays, so I can't show the rest until after they're delivered. I painted a Manbaby:

A couple of guest checks:

I made this little guy with clay and a plastic bat and a doll head:

Painted some gourds like tittays:

And I've made some official N.U.T.S.A.C. Sharts such as this:

The flowers really make the piece. We will miss you, Nana Rat-Thing! I embroidered a couple of birthday cards:

And found out why so many encaustic artists live out west:

Because the wax melts and dries LIKE GLASS. Oh my god, if it wasn't 29 degrees outside right now, I'd be out in my yard slinging wax and putting in my resignation at work. This particular piece is the mighty Bonneville Salt Flats which is simply the bleakest, most magical place I've ever been in my life:

I beaded a bracelet too, but I can't find the pic right now because I'm still sorting through the rubble. I'll post that later. Maybe I won't wait a whole year!

I have been to Zion, Moab, the Mighty Salt Flats, fired an AK in the desert which was funner'n'hell, hiked up a waterfall, seen a gas station camel, eaten a lot of cheese curds, and drank a lot of 3.2% beer. Utah is weird, y'all. But so far it suits me. I think I'll stay here a while.

(Special thanks to PattiDee for the commemorative card accurately depicting my new apartment.)

No comments: