Monday, September 23, 2019

Big Lino Blocks

I've been using the little 2x3" wooden lino blocks for decades. I figured "improvements" have probably been made during this time, so I decided to check out some other types of blocks.

This first one is like if you peeled the lino top off the wooden blocks. Super hard surface, but without the one inch thick wooden piece bracing the back. I found it a little bit harder to hang onto, and also it's a bit curved, but the hardness of the surface allows for lots of small details.

This block is 5x7" and the design requires some explanation: At Factory Job, these machines have been my burden for 2 1/2 years. Once a machine operator, always a machine operator, thus they will be my burden until I am dead. There are six of them, and they are pissy bitches. I decided to capture their bitchy glory in lino block form.

This series is called "Assholes."

Next I tried out some of the floppy, buttery 5x7" blocks. They are very very easy to carve, which means you have to be very careful. Every slip can potentially remove huge chunks of rubber. I tried out this design:

I was going for a finely detailed art deco look, but ended up with what looks like someone drunkenly decorated a cake with tube icing. I plan to redo this with one of the harder lino blocks. But I made use of the prints:

Due to my AMAZING skill level, I decided those soft blocks would be better for a design with bold sloppy lines.

"Grrrrr -- what are you taking a picture of?" "Nothing, Frankenstein. Hold still."

Then I made the alien girl.

I put her on everything. Fabric, some weird tyvek type stuff, leather:

And I made cards:

>

I watercolored that one with only partial success. That "Believe" stamp came out of a religious stamp set I found for half off. Hahaha.

So I ended up with an assload of prints just lying around the bunker and I didn't know what to do with them. I grabbed my pile of scrap leather and made these:

The closures are made out of bones. Shout-out to all the weirdos selling complete animal skeletons on ebay. You're the best!

No comments: