Monday, March 19, 2018

More Leather Notebooks AKA Thanks Again, Ian!

I checked my previous notebook post to make sure I hadn't posted these two notebooks I made, but hooray I neglected this for a whole year so I didn't!

I made the Cowboy a notebook cover for some damn reason, I can't remember what that was. But again I turned to the pattern I purchased from Leodis Leather.

Many different notebook sizes are included with this pattern. Last time I made one of the smaller ones, this time I made the larger size, I think the Large Cahier (13x21cm) but I have no measurements with me because my patterns are at home. Perhaps I will remember to put them in later. Anyhoo, I combined Ian's pattern with this photo that was in the Tandy flier:

and came up with this:

The detail on that skull and crossbones stamp leaves a little to be desired. I tried to carve a mouth for the dude with arguable success.

I put the Cowboy's initials on the inside back flap and screwed up the T:

Looks super terrible close up. Luckily I did better on the front cover:

The basketweave stamp is time-consuming but totally worth it. I did the whole back, and haha I forgot I did those crossed pistols:

The pistols also have disappointing detail. I carved those out a bit too. They probably work better on thinner leather.

I mentioned in a previous post that I kept a kind of weak pseudo-journal of my first year in Utah. This is the notebook cover I made for that, using the same pattern as above. I'll just toss the photos out:

I require that all notebooks for myself MUST have a pen holder. I made this one by punching two holes, soaking the leather, and leaving a pen in the slot while it dried so that it would case into the proper shape:

And last but not least:

Brings a tear to the eye. *sniff

No comments: