Monday, September 24, 2018

Baskets AKA So It's Been Six Months Again

Work has been busier than I expected, so I'm still making stuff but not posting it. Let's see how much I can cram into this one.

I love to hate the goop newsletter. For one of their pop-up fancy dinners or whatever, they handed out what are surely prohibitively expensive personalized wicker purses:

I laughed heartily at what was just two picnic plates sewn together with some embroidered letters slapped on. And I decided this was my next project.

I have a good bit of blue and red dyed reed leftover from previous projects, and rather than choose between them, I just alternated between each.

Voila. I've never felt more elitist.

This put me in a weaving mood. I decided I really needed a tiny red basket covered in muskrat vertebrae.

The bones had wide enough center openings that I could just thread them onto the small round reed.

Every time I start to make a basket shaped like this one, I think 'geez this could be a hat so easily.' So I decided to finally try one. I guesstimated the size of my head, then worked up the crown to what I thought was a good length and started the brim. Pretty soon it was too big to fit in my water tub:

I had to keep moving it around in sections to soak it. You can tell from this shot that I accidentally tapered the crown, which gives it a fun 'mad hatter' look but also makes it a little pinchy on my fat head. And sharp. I've had to go in there a few times with the nippers to keep from gouging my forehead. But I like how it turned out.

You can see a bit of the shark onesie in that pic. It is my new prized possession. And I forgot to take a picture of the hatband I made out of bones and beads so I'll have to post that later.

Me & the Cowboy are going camping this weekend so I am completely mentally checked out at work, and it's only Monday. This does not bode well for the rest of the week. Please keep me in your thoughts during this difficult time.

No comments: